15 April 2007

Cabbage Cheese and Wild Boar Sausages

We went to a place on Saturday that has put an end to my England-is-the-home-of-baked-beans-and mushy-peas expectations, once and for all. It's called Borough Market. It's down in the heart of the city, right near London Bridge and just around the corner from the Golden Hinde.

Borough Market is open on Saturdays to the public and on Sundays the restauranteurs come and buy all their ingredients. There are: a million different cheeses, breads, sausages including wild boar sausages, wine, organic food, vegetarian organic food, seafood, the best looking fruit and vegies, cakes, brownies, fudge, olives and antipasto type things, tea and I'm sure there were more things that I didn't even see.




I tried some cheeses, including one that looked like camembert but it was cabbage flavoured. Ew! I bought a wedge of a cheese that has holes like swiss cheese and had a massive sandwich with grilled vegies and huge pieces of goat's cheese inside it for lunch.

L tried a sausage, and I got a bit excited for a moment thinking that he had accidentally eaten a wild boar sausage. But disappointingly it was a Hungarian sausage. L bought a big huge brownie from the mountain of brownies and some middle-Eastern sweets like baklava and others that we had never tried before.




I'm sure that there are mushy peas out there. I also know that baked beans are important enough here to find their way on the standard list of baked potato toppings and also as a side dish on the KFC menu. But as long as there is Borough Market we will always have the cheese, sorry I mean the choice.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a delicious market to be going to. I don't know about the wild boar sausages but the cheese choice looks so inviting. I must come soon!! Are you going to go back next Saturday?? Lovely colourful photos. It looks like you are having some nice weather. Guess I'll just eat my lentil patties for tea!

Anonymous said...

Wow - what great photos, although I am sure I have put on several kilos just looking at them. Makes our local "Fresh Food People" look even worse....oh I do envy you the choice. Eat something for me please. Jill

Han said...

i'm drooooooling at this very moment and i have a full tummy from eating home cooked pork and somen noodles with soy broth...it all sounds and looks sooo gourmet and expensive, but i still love it...just like how iron chef makes me hungry, so does the sound of wild boar sausage.