1 August 2009

South of Spain, North of Africa

View Over Tarifa
View over Tarifa, Spain - those blue hills are Africa

Hello from Tarifa!

I'm siting on the roof terrace in my fisherman pants with crazy salt-caked hair blowing in the breeze. We went swimming in the sea today. It was warm and calm and there were maybe a few thousand tanned people swimming. There were topless ladies.

I'm watching the moon rise and the horizon dim. Listening to goat bells clunking on the hill, ships honking dimly. Here, the wind BLOWS that's why there's a hotel called the Hurricane Hotel. The Spanish have names for the different strengths of wind.

We're staying in a house with no doors and no locks; a dog like a wolf and a couple of strange looking tomato plants tucked away behind a chimney pot. You can see Africa from here.

x
Lex

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can feel it, smell it, hear it and am 100% green with envy. Your descriptive writing brings it all back and takes me back nearly 40 years I hate to admit. This is the Europe I love....the north is fine but you just can't beat that southern lifestyle....go for it. Jill

Anonymous said...

What are you doing ahhhh enjoying life yes??? enjoy and remember you both are there!!!! love to you both in these fine times.......k

Anonymous said...

Hi guys!
I know we are both here but on that evening it was just me on the roof. Always swore never to become one of those WE people!
x Lex