25 April 2009

If You Were Here Now

An old friend from Tassie visited me yesterday. Walking through the red front door he said it felt like deja vu because he'd seen photos before.

I love having people visit because it makes things seem less two-dimensional... you know, you go from seeing photos to seeing all the ugly bits but it's a more real experience. You can look around corners and into cupboards.

If you were here now, you'd find me in the kitchen boiling eggs for a picnic lunch tomorrow. You'd smell something incredibly garlicky, that would be the risotto I'm making to use up the remains of last night's bottle of wine. How many cloves? Oh... maybe six.

(Excuse me while I stir the rice).

My friend left a thank you note anchored down by a jar of vegemite. Great style!

If you were here now, you'd find me stirring the risotto and I'd probably ask what you were having for dinner.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i would just try and sneakily make you feel sorry for me and therefore you would invite me to stay for tea!!! he.. he.. and then maybe go to the tate tomorrow!!! kathryn

Lex said...

Come on over then... you bring the wine :)