6 April 2009

Stockholm

There is no question about it. I went to Stockholm because of the artist and illustrator Camilla Engman. I was intrigued by the colours in her photos and I wanted to see the world as she saw it, a little bit.

Hornsgatspuckeln, Stockholm, Sweden

I saw the light the way she sees it. Somehow different from English light, Swedish light is tinted blue, different shades of ice. I loved certain colours in particular: blue-greys and rosehip red and washed-out yellows like grasses waving next to lakes.

Bay, Vaxholm Boat, Vaxholm
Old Fishermens' Houses, Vaxholm Rosehips, Vaxholm

I came away with a long, slow memory of cosy afternoons spent in cafes drinking from giant mugs. Walking through dark, rainsoaked streets arm in arm with Lauchlin, holding a too-small umbrella between us. And wishing to return to this place where the colours of winter are somehow beautiful.

The colours of a place soaked in water and the changing seasons.

Lauch in a Cafe in Vaxholm Stadshuset, Stockholm
Sunken Boat, Vaxholm Double Chocolate Cake, Vaxholm

*Note: I wrote this back in October 2008... it was Autumn.

No comments: