3 February 2008

Lost in Time

Steam Rising from Mulled Wine, Borough Market
Steam rising from mulled wine, Borough Market

Borough Market has this incredible feeling of age. It's been a market since about 1860. Being there among the hordes of locals and tourists feels like being amongst all the people that went before me.

It was eight degrees outside, my hands were frozen inside my gloves. But somehow I felt caught up in time, walking through places in the footsteps of Shakespeare and Dickens and before the future people who will trail on after me. It made the world seem bigger than frozen hands.

Sometimes I wonder why I would ever want to leave this place.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One or two reasons why you would want to leave.....when it is 25 degrees and we have just had our second swim for the day and it is still light at 9.30 pm.......mmmmmmmmmmmmm maybe not the same amount of history or people and the wine may not mulled.....nonethess it still tastes pretty good. Sorry.....I couldn't resist the comparison. Glad you are enjoying it all though and there is SO much to discover and enjoy in London. jillandshim