17 December 2007

Sunday Afternoon

Sloane Square by Day
Sloane Square, 3pm

I went to meet a friend at Sloane Square today. We had hot chocolate and talked about caring for the elderly (her) and the pressure of Oftsted reports (me). Then we scurried along Kings Road looking at shoes and trying not to let our fingers go numb from the cold.

Conkers, King St
Chestnut Tree, Kings Road, 3pm

I love all the bobbly chestnut trees. They remind me of Christmas trees with little baubles hanging off them. Just near this tree was a group of five or six women with santa hats on singing the most beautiful carols in three-part harmony. Then just down the road in a doorway a homeless man was settling down for the night with his plastic bag of stuff and his not-warm-enough coats. I can't believe I went shopping for shoes while some people don't have homes.

Sloane Square by Night
Sloane Square, 6pm

This whole square was bitterly cold and beautiful, with fairy lights strung through all the trees.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lex - I could just picture you hurrying along King's Road as I used to live in Glebe Place, just off King's Road. I wonder whether the Chelsea Pensioners still have a hostel at the end. They were old soldiers and you would see them around in their lovely red jackets, black hats and trousers. The fairy lights and chestnut bobbles look really festive don't they. Well, back to the Christmas cake cooking. Merry Christmas and enjoy the snow.
jillandshim