23 November 2007

Missing

Crystal Palace Flowers
Flowers, Crystal Palace Park

It has rained every day this week, and I was okay with that.
Okay with the puddles in the playground and the noisy kids inside at lunchtime and the queue to vote in the rain at Australia House. I had my umbrella and my raincoat and that was fine.

But something was missing.

I went looking for a photo to share today and came across this one.
Something went click.

I have mentioned that it's often dark at the moment. Actually, it doesn't get properly light til about 8am and it is dark by 4pm. I arrive at school before 8am and leave after 4pm.

Unless I'm on duty - which only happens once a week - it feels like I don't get to see sunlight on a week day.

I can almost remember what hot sunshine felt like. What it felt like to be too warm, to almost get burnt. To actually want to jump into a swimming pool to cool off.

Summer, I remember you. And I can't wait to see you again.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi lex
summer is wonderful here in tassie!! And holidays soon too!! Lets hope the sunshine remains until easter for you!!

cheers
Kathryn

Bb said...

I hope for now you can find the good things about winter to get you by until the sun can come out again!

I rate hot chocolate pretty highly. And open fires.

And electric slippers.

Anonymous said...

Lex - to brighten up your days we spent the day in the garden at Heather Street whipping it into shape.....it had gone a bit feral with the excitement of spring. I shall email the photos and hope they bring a little feel of summer into your life. I remember living in England and can relate 100% to how you are feeling but just think of all the exciting experiences you are having...and no sunburn!!!! Jill

S'mee said...

Lovely photo. I too send you warm wishes and a thermos of cocoa with gooey melting marshmallows.

Lex said...

Thanks for the encouragement - not that I need much encouragement to have some hot chocolate and marshmallows! You've reminded me to keep looking for things to like about winter.
Lex