18 November 2007

Secret Postcards

Hyde Park

I was just passing through Hyde Park yesterday on my way to the RCA Secret exhibition. This is a fundraiser for the Royal College of Art, in which many artists paint postcard-sized artworks. You can buy the artworks next Saturday for 40 pounds each and there is the possibility that you could buy a postcard by someone famous like Quentin Blake, Damien Hirst or Tracey Emin. The catch is that you don't find out who the artist is until you buy your postcard and turn it over to look at the name on the back.

Hyde Park, Autumn Hyde Park

All the postcards are online here. My favourites are this one, this one and this one, this one and this one. The painting of the tree is my absolute favourite and the one I'm hoping to get.

Hyde Park, Italian Gardens

My registration number is something in the ninety thousands. Which means that more than ninety thousand people have registered to buy a postcard. There are only about two thousand postcards. Apparently buying involves a very long queue... of up to three or four hours.

I wonder which postcards you would buy.

3 comments:

Bb said...

http://dams.rca.ac.uk/res/sites/RCA_Secret/originals/435.jpg

I would try to buy that one. I have only looked at a small portion of them though.

Bb said...

"http://dams.rca.ac.uk/res/sites/RCA_Secret/originals/435.jpg"

It seems to have chopped the end of that url off! trying again..

Anonymous said...

Love 1948 - they last one in your list....haven't had a chance to look at all the others though....good luck with getting the one you really want....Jill