10 September 2007

The Elephants are Coming

Feeding the Swans
Children on the Serpentine Lake, Hyde Park.

I noticed on 'Week in Pictures' that there were some life-sized cane sculptures of elephants in Hyde Park this week. So of course I dragged Lauch out to go and have a look at them. Luke said they were near the Princess Diana memorial fountain. Several kilometres of walking later, we arrived at the extremely popular Diana tribute. No elephants.

The thing I should probably mention is that Hyde Park is utterly huge and gigantic. A five minute search on Google cannot give me exact proportions but I know it takes me at least half an hour to walk its width and at least an hour to walk its length.

Just as we were getting despondent at the lack of elephants, there it was. An arrow-shaped sign that had fallen to the ground, pointing to "Elephant Family."

Elephant Family

And there they were. A million human children and their mothers, crowded around the amazing life-sized herd of 12 elephants. I thought the baby elephants were the cutest.

Elephant Baby

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful idea. The elephants are so well proportioned and realistic! They must have taken ages to make. I hope the project raises lots of money to help the real elephants! Thanks for the photos. The Park sounds like a great place to walk around in. I like the turtles too. Love.M