30 September 2007

At A Moment's Notice

A few months ago,
given an excuse: say, my goldfish had died
I would have given London the royal one finger salute and in precisely an hour, depending on delays on the Picadilly line,
I would at Heathrow airport and after two more hours of customs,
I most definitely would have been on the next plane home.

That finger would have been for you, millions of anonymous unsmiling faces,
for you, endless rolling grey skies
for every piece of litter on the street because there are no bins because of the bombs
for every suicide announced in cold voices on the underground.

I wouldn't have missed the homeless sitting in alcoves with heads bowed and paper cups,
the drunks and their scary not-quite-with-it faces and their loud angry voices
or the news headlines announcing the latest stabbings.

But
there was no excuse.
Nobody called up, needed me in Australia at an hour's notice depending on delays on the Picadilly line.

And now, given an excuse: say my goldfish had died
well actually I'd be very sad but
what about
our very nice flatmates
and
well
where would I get my baklava from, it couldn't possibly be the same as that little shop just down the road where the lady knows who I am now and she smiles at me and asks if I like pistachios (of course I do, lady! What's not to love!)
I can't LEAVE, who would pay the rent
and I couldn't let anybody else live in MY HOUSE and watch the leaves turn red and fall off the vines on the back fence.

I haven't...
I'm not quite...
WHAT ABOUT MY WHITE CHRISTMAS!

I can't possibly go home yet.

5 comments:

Hub & Bub said...

Hun I'm so sad to here about your goldfish :(
Is that the little one (okay read fairly huge one) that I met at your place once, back in the day?

Hugs xxx
Lel

Lex said...

Hey, thanks for the commiserations but he actually died in 2004 just before I got home from Thailand. Quite sad at the time, but I was just having a joke this time!
Take care,
Lex

Anonymous said...

Glad you didn't make it to Heathrow but on the other hand it would be lovely to see you on home turf. Today the rolling grey skies would make you feel you were still there in London....except for the fact they are over rolling dark grey seas topped with froth. The litter is still there....on the beach ....leftovers from where you never know. Next week there is a protest on East Beach against the pulp mill ... so you can see after all these years the outside world has reached our quiet little corner of the globe. Perhaps we need you both here so we have two extra concerned people to join the protest. Love Jill

Bb said...

When the time is right, I don't think you'll need any excuses to come home... and those technical hitches - if its the right time to go, I don't think they'd stop you at all.

Sounds like there are some more chapters left in this book yet, bring on that snow!

Hub & Bub said...

mmm good to see my head is in such a good space that I read your posts all wrong :P
Oh dear.....LOL