3 June 2007

Where Time Begins



Greenwich:
Super-green field full of
people in bikinis growing tans
Nobody wearing hats
A hill that has a worn path down it the grass - lush
I can imagine children rolling down that.
Check my knees for grass stains.

At the top of the hill,
The view is so impressive that a photo Just. Will. Not. show how amazing it is
(but I’ll show it to you anyway, maybe your imagination can make it right)
Everyone is here
Standing in the queue to have their photo taken
One foot on either side of the date line.
Anyway, who decided that
Here is where time begins?



Canary Wharf:
Superslick buildings all quiet and shiny glass
Window cleaners up there on the 7 millionth floor
Gives me vertigo just thinking about it.
Humans, we are dwarfed by
The tallest building
The quiet swoosh as the train goes by, again, again, the sound of human voices muted
This is what the future looks like.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am green with envy imagining the warmth felt by the people lying on the grass. I have left the warmth of the fireside and the chilly air has started me spluttering and coughing. Winter has arrived with a vengeance and a southerly....massive snow dumps in Victoria and lots of condensation on windows in the morning.....Lucky Lex and Lauch....did you stand on the date line and work out whether you were coming or going? Jill