7 June 2007

What do you call it?



It was pouring with rain but I had cabin fever: I had to get out. I took the tube to Central London - High Holburn to be precise - to go shopping and take photos. Ended up home several hours later with my jeans soaked about 8 inches up the legs.

Notice the sign in this photo - no, not the Burger King one, look lower - Women's Lavatories! Lavatories is such an old-fashioned word, I love it.
There's something cute about the names of things here. For example today I was wandering around in the rain and I noticed two streets, side by side. One was called Shoe Lane and the other New Little Lane. Not kidding.
Pubs have cute names too. Many of them are named after the street they're in - The Angel is in Angel Lane. But there are of course a few rogue pubs called things like The Red Lion and Pineapple.
If I had a pub I would call it the Catfish and Pickle. Or maybe the Toad in the Hole. And it would have a sign for the lavatories too.

P.S. See here for mad photo of me that Lauch took.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yep - that's a mad photo...but I LOVE it :P
If you had a pub and called it the catfish and the pickle - I would come and drink there...has a nice ring to it !!!
Lel
xxx