2 May 2007

How Did Your Hair Get Orange?


On my way home, West London

I've been working, doing relief teaching in a nice school that is some distance away. The good thing about being up so early at the moment is that the weather is gorgeous and the sun is always shining brightly when I leave. So far, the work's been great.

Each day I've been in a different class. Today I was in a reception class, which is like kindergarten. There was me and two teacher's aides and 26 cutie four and five year olds. I - I mean, the children and I - did construction with boxes and glue. Lots of glue. I was talking to the group of kids I was working with about names that can be for both girls and boys - like Alex and Jordan. I asked one of the girls of African descent whether her name could be for a boy or a girl. She solemnly informed me that her name could not be for boys, it was "Only for a girl, a brown-coloured girl."

Later a little boy with a round face came up to me and looked at me for a minute. "How did your hair get orange?" he asked me. Er.... I can't say I've ever considered that question before. I told him it just came that way. Sometimes kids ask the best questions.

On the topic of good things, today was the day our shopping came. After two gigantic shopping trips that involved carrying all our groceries for what felt like several kilometres (have you tried carrying a bag of potatoes for more than a block?!) we decided to do our shopping online and get it delivered. Well actually Lauch decided and I eventually agreed with him. The man came today to deliver all our groceries and it was so much fun opening all the bags. Bagels! Haagen-Dazs! Shopping bags of joy! I'm completely won over to the whole internet shopping thing. I'm going now to have pitta pizzas and icecream and a small bite of everything that is delicious and new inside our fridge.

4 comments:

Toni M Photography said...

:) How nice is this story? Damn it's times like that I miss being in the classroom doing my thing....

Grocery Shopping on the net, I knew it was happening, but maybe I was still in the dark a little about it all.... Hmmm.... But to have bagels and Haagen-Daz's in my firdge I would so do the interner grocery shopping then.... Mmmm I can taste the Haagen Dazs now. .... Yummo....

Will endeavouer to e-mail you soon, it has been a little crazy here with stuff...

Glad things are looking brighter in part of the world, it is totally dark and raining today... Maybe it's a good thing as I am meant to be "cleaning" as such. :)

Talk soon,
Big hugs,
Love Toni

Anonymous said...

Do you think you could possible arrange for your internet supermarket to deliver to Low Head....I HATE SUPERMARKETS!!!!!!! Jill

Anonymous said...

It was only a matter of time til Lauch "discovered" online supermarkets!!!!!

Mike

Anonymous said...

Hmmm I think I could go a little nuts if I did online shopping!!!

Speaking of groceries - we did ours thismorning and saw Greg Leong in the bathroom aisle!!!

Talk soon,
Lel