22 April 2007

Man With Head in Wall

Lauch and I were down near Oxford St yesterday afternoon when we came across a funky art gallery.
An artist called Mark Jenkins was exhibiting. In the doorway was a garbage bag with two legs wearing jeans and sneakers sticking out of it. I had to look twice to make sure it wasn't real.

A lot of his art was installation, where he'd create these human looking forms that were wearing clothes and there was something odd about them, and put them out in public spaces. Like, there was a man who looked like he'd stuck his head into a wall. Or a man sitting down cross-legged on the pavement with his hooodie up but no head inside the hoodie.
Anyway pictures explain it best. Click on the links below:

Man With Head in Wall

Man With no Head and other pictures

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are amazingly realistic art forms. I could hardly tell if they were real or not except as you say there is no head. Maybe it is realsitic for some people!! Quite a clever statement really. You are seeing some very interesting places I can see. M

Han said...

that stuff is pretty nuts! oh and shannon has said you'd better not be patronising the shepherd's bush walkabout....beware it's evil.

Bruce said...

Very cool, my sort of art!

Anonymous said...

Oh Lexi Loo - I can't believe you got to see Mark Jenkins work!!!
Would you believe just last week I taught my kids how to make sticky tape art??
It was great.
I have two who are going to make some 3D peices for the pathway planning officers staff room !!
Did I mention JEALOUS?????
Hope all is well
:)
Lel

Anonymous said...

Wow I didn't realise he's famous! I thought he was maybe an experimental student artist. Shows how much I know! I'm so keen to see more contemporary art like this, will keep my eyes open.
Lex