8 April 2007

Chocolate Fuelled Enthusiasm

Hi everyone!
So I'm sitting here in the loungeroom of our new home eating an Easter egg from Amsterdam. It had what looked like a modern art design on it.

It's been the best, craziest weekend. I went everywhere! Here are some pics just from today.

I went with my uncle A (not the uncle I stayed with) to visit my grandmother I haven't seen since I was 9. It was a delicious day of lindor bunny, a three course pub lunch with strawberry fool for dessert. Many cups of tea.


From left: me, Grandma and my aunt.

This area is in the country, west of London. We saw the remains of a fort from about 3000BC, where ancient people sheltered from wolves and other bitey scary things. The fort now looks like big green grassy hills.

Right nearby there was a white horse on the hill. This was originally made by cutting away the grass into the side of the hills, which are filled with white limestone. The horse is from when the Anglo Saxons defeated the Danish in a battle. They put a big white horse on the hill to say "Ha ha! We win," and there it stayed.



And we saw a fantastic old church. My grandmother said it was a "wool church" - erected by the wealthy wool dealers from the village in an attempt to save their souls.



This area is seriously the stuff of English tv shows. Birds twittering, the smell of cow pats, thin winding country roads with high thorny hedges. You have to beep your car horn when you go around a corner in case someone else is coming from the opposite direction.

On the way there I saw all these road signs with pictures of deer on them. On the way home - twilight was falling - I saw a deer by the side of the road.

So here I am eating chocolate and blogging. I want to wish you a fabulous chocolate filled Easter and a wicked long weekend.

2 comments:

Han said...

i'm safe to say that no eggs for me this easter...got thrown a cadbury egg last night and that was nice enough [have you tried the cadbury choc in england...so nasty compared to ours!]. glad to hear you've had a great weekend...the horse is fantastic and two thumbs up to great pub meals!!

Lex said...

Hey! I tried the Cadbury choc here yesterday, tasted pretty good to me. Not quite as sugary but other than that pretty much the same. But then, chocolate is chocolate to me.... can't wait to try it in Belgium though! Also the waffles. Ah so much food out there to be eaten.