30 March 2007

A Walk in the Park


Coming to a foreign country - even an English-speaking one - is a big jump. One might say it's not just a walk in the park. There are plenty of scary travel stories floating around to try and put you off.

Although not everything they tell you is true (seriously, you must have been kidding when you told me the food here is bad) there are some grains of truth.

The weather is cold. (That said, it was 19 degrees yesterday AND it was sunny and beautiful).
The women are fashionable. (Yes, I now have a strong desire to slip into some tight jeans, ballet slippers and a funky coat. Don't laugh. Seriously. There are hundreds of women here who look fantastic in those.)
The squirrels are cute. (But no photos because they are also fast).

And, well, relief teaching isn't really that easy. However I have only done one day of it so far, which in the scale of things is not many, in fact it is miniscule. Which means that I will have another try at it.

The thing is, I'm determined to stay here. London is beautiful and it is the best thing getting to know my family over here. I have yet to see Big Ben and shop at Selfridges and fit into a pair of skinny jeans. There will be more doing of things that scare me, there will be conquering of fear and there will be the money to pay for fabulous trips to everywhere in Europe.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Lex, I'm Annaleis, Josie told me about your website. I've been in London for 6 months now, also doing relief teaching. You're right, it is tough! But hopefully you'll get some good days thrown in amongst all the rough ones.
Good luck with your teaching!

Han said...

hey lex - you'll have to go conquer the awesomeness of Top Shop and H&M...definitely the coolest shops to find those ballet flats, tight jeans and funky coats...i tease myself by looking at their online catalog...oh the days of packages arriving from my sister will 1 and 2 pound costing goodies!...