24 March 2007

On Plane Food and Exploding Rubber Gloves


So we arrived here on Thursday. Or was it Friday? Utterly bewildered.
And it's fabulous.

Hard to believe that somewhere in the space of 48 hours I have:
* Watched a man put a white rubber glove on his head in Sydney. Of course you know what happened next. Yes. He blew it up with his nose until it exploded.
* Eaten excellent Indian food with my hands. Something felt so wrong about this, I just couldn't stop thinking about the germs. (Still in Sydney).
* Watched 'Happy Feet' twice in succession. (Somewhere between Sydney and Singapore).
* Landed in Bahrain, which from the air looks like a gigantic sandbar with little cube-shaped houses and a handful of palm trees. Incredibly exotic. Chatted to an American woman in the airport who shared her jelly-belly jellybeans with me and told me she'd seen 11 musicals in 8 days in London.
* Left Bahrain, at 10pm Aus time, staring out the plane window at the bright hot sunny day. Sleep? Now? Not a chance.
*Flew over blinding white mountaintops covered in snow. (Don't ask me where I was at this stage.)
* Landed, FINALLY, in Heathrow, realising that after 3 8-hour flights I really am a million gazillion miles from home and I better damn well like it here because I am NOT getting on a 24-hour plane flight again for a very long time.

And by the way, aeroplane food these days consists of a gourmet three-course meal with cheesecake for dessert. But still. No more small enclosed spaces thank you very much.

No comments: