25 March 2007

Brass Monkeys


It's the kind of cold here where you have to wear a thermal, two long-sleeved tops, a woollen jumper and a coat. And scarves actually have a purpose other than decoration.
I'm not complaining. It's not like cold here is unexpected. It's just that today I found the perfect way to express it.
My aunt said "Well it's all brass monkeys, isn't it."
What was that?
Apparently there's a saying here, "It's cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey." Brass monkeys indeed.

3 comments:

Han said...

i'm not in london...but my electric blanket is on for the first time this year...brrrrr...those poor brass monkeys.... :P

Bruce said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bruce said...

It's and old sailor's saying. Comes from the triangle (brass monkey) that was used to hold cannon balls. If it froze, it would shrink and the balls would literally fall off.

And for the next bit of useless trivia I will explain how hell is exothermic!