8 October 2009

Crossing

View from the Spirit of Tasmania

I'm curled up in an "ocean-view recliner" with a yellow blanket snuggled over my jeans, reading Burning Chrome. Half-listening to the man wheezing as he crosses the room to sit near me. "I suppose you'll never get old," he says, when he catches his breath. He smiles when I tell him "Probably." Tells me he's 84. I'm watching the night get deeper, feeling the thump of distance as the sea disappears beneath us. Wondering if my generation will be able to choose to live forever.

3 comments:

Sally Johnson said...

If we could live forever, we'd get more than our share and would never appreciate life enough. Lovely pic, lovely imagery.

Lex said...

Thanks Sally!
Lex

Anonymous said...

Maybe I just want to fly
I want to live I don't want to die
Maybe I just want to breath
Maybe I just don't believe
Maybe you're the same as me
We see things they'll never see
You and I are gonna live forever

lovely oasis from katrhyn