27 August 2008

The Dark Peak

It was a long weekend! We shoved doonas, a box full of food and some camping gear into Luke and Trang's car and headed for the hills.

DSC_0009 DSC_0012
DSC_0030 DSC_0085

The Peak District hills, to be precise. The Peak District is an area about three hours north of London and is quite famous for its beauty. Our flatmates were heading up there to go rock climbing so we all drove up together. Lauch and I spent three days wandering the hills, squidging through mud and talking to cute mountain sheep.

My uncle warned us that there are two general areas in the Peak District: The White Peak and the DARK PEAK. He said the Dark Peak could get quite muddy.

It did.

DSC_0108

In fact, there was sometimes more mud than path. Lauchlin liked to take the direct route through the mud. I preferred to hop from grass clod to grass clod.

DSC_0066 Campground
Drystone Wall Lauch on the Peak

The views were spectacular and the walking was generally easy. My walking boots have now begun to leave the skin ON the heels of my feet and now I'm feeling ready to get into training for hiking in Tibet.

DSC_0101 Peak District
Blackpool Blackpool

On the way back to London, we stopped over in the kooky town of Blackpool. Blackpool seems to be a very small town with a sandy beach and its entire beachfront is covered with the most insanely tacky, yet also fascinating, fairground rides and amusements. Its residents speak with a different accent and describe "Between the hours of nine and ten" as "ninewellten." As in, "Breakfast will be serrrved at ninewellten."

View of Peak District

Take one last look at the view! I start a new job on Monday, so no more gallumphing through the muddy countryside for me. No more sleeping in, either... I have to be at work at "eightwellnine".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What beautiful photos!! I am so glad that you have been able to get to do some walking in The Peak district and had such a good time. I guess board-walks haven't arrived in that area yet!!