25 February 2008

Day 4: Dark and Quiet Places

Near the Roman Wall, Barcelona Inside a Cathedral, Barcelona
Arch leading to Roman Columns; inside a cathedral

I told you I chickened out of travelling to Barcelona alone. It's true. But I did actually spend the last two days there by myself - Lauch went back to London earlier. I did a tour of the old city - the Barri Gotic - and found some cool places. The top photo is of a little alley that I didn't want to go inside. It was at the end of a very narrow street and it was creepy and had flies in it. But I stepped through anyway and found the most silent and almost worshipful room with three or four incredible Roman columns, intact. The other buildings had been deliberately built around them to preserve them.

The photo of the candles was taken inside a cathedral. I was the only person in there and it was all walls of golden pillars supporting different icons of saints. All gold glinting in candlelight and ornate patterns on walls. The Spanish sure know how to make an impressive church.

No comments: