13 January 2008

A Bit More Of Brussels

It's a lazy Sunday in London and I've been going through holiday photos. After a week of real work, I'm back to dreaming about holidays. I thought I'd show you a few more photos from when we were in Brussels.

Along the Tourist Route

Lauch, Andrew and I did a walking tour around all the best bits of Brussels. It's hard to get lost on a walking tour - especially one from the Lonely Planet - because the rest of the tourists are doing the exact same tour so you just follow the crowd.

Red Door, Place Saint-Gery

Take note! This is the kind of red I would like our front door to be. (Actually our front door in London is this colour).

Letter Box Cobbled Road

The letter boxes in Brussels - and in London - are actually in people's front doors. So if you're home when the mail comes, you hear the creak THUMP of letters coming through the door.

The street signs are in both French and Flemish, and many people in Brussels speak French, Flemish and English. Apparently in some parts of Belgium people get cross if you speak the "wrong" language to them - if their region is predominantly French, for example, and you try to speak Flemish. Nobody has got cross at me yet... but surely they will one day because the only Flemish word I know is "wafel."

Brussels View

This view is from the Palais de Justice. Sylvia says that Brussels typically has quite grey skies like this. It has kind of a steam punk aesthetic.

The Waffle Vendor

If you turn around directly from the view of Brussels, there's a waffle vendor. We went to Brussels twice and he was there both times, so obviously that means he must be there always. His waffles are good. Very good. You have to be careful with the chocolate sauce though because it is very sticky and your fingers can end up looking like they're covered in brown glue. Not that this has ever happened to me.

Brussels View Red Door, Place Du Beguinage.

After gorging ourselves on waffles, wine & beer, cheese & bread (from the French part of our trip) we went home and decided to go on diets. For the rest of the year.

4 comments:

Toni M Photography said...

WOW, love these pics. I can't wait to go further abroad. I'll be posting our holiday pics this week. There are way too many to look through at the moment. My theory is, if you are holiday in a new place, you can never take too photos. Is over 300 too many? Hmm I think not,

Talk soon,
Love Toni

Bb said...

I love that huge red door!! Somebody went to a lot of effort building that one.

S'mee said...

Agreeing with previous comments! But alas, here in the Mojave a red door becomes dull pink in a matter of months.

Lex said...

Hello Toni, B and S'mee!
Toni I'm still looking forward to seeing your holiday pics.
B, I know, that red door is incredible. I want one.
S'mee I didn't realise you lived in the desert, that must have some amazing colours in it.
Lex