22 October 2007

Oxford: City of Dreaming Spires, Milkshakes and Professors

You know a place is mellow when they're playing Bob Marley. In the main street of Oxford, it was all sunshine, African drummers and a band playing an amazing version of 'No Woman No Cry' - I think it was the U2-style guitar that made it work.

Building Near Covered Market, Oxford Christ Church College, Oxford
College, Oxford Longwall St, Oxford

Oxford was a sea of chilled out tourists, students and beautiful old buildings. We went to Christ Church College (pictured above with the perfect green grass) where Charles Dodgson, aka Lewis Carroll, worked as a maths professor and wrote the Alice books. Walking around Oxford I could completely see where Carroll got ideas about all the doorways in his stories. It's all arched doors, tiny doorways in walls and keyholes to peek through.

We found this milkshake shop that sells a few hundred different flavours of milkshakes. Flavours like turkish delight, crunchy nut cornflake, weetabix, tic tac... anything you could ever imagine. L and I shared a strawberry trifle milkshake with marshmallows on top. Tasted exactly the same as the name.

Bike, Oxford Lauch near Radcliffe Camera, Oxford Lex Near Radcliffe Camera, Oxford

When I was off taking a photo, this pretty blonde girl came up to Lauch.
"Excuse me," she said, "Don't I know you from somewhere? You look like a professor I had in Canada." Lauch corrected her and she disappeared off down a rabbit hole. He had by this time blushed bright red.

Professor Lauch. Remembered by pretty blonde girls the world over.

We must never let him live this down.

5 comments:

lokulin said...

I'm not quite sure, but I think she was hitting on me. Thankfully Lex, you came to my rescue! The evil blond temptress was slain.

Anonymous said...

Lauch should have just said I'm late, I'm late for a terribly important date and rushed off.....Perhaps the learned halls of Oxford could tempt him back to study!!!! just a joke there....glad you enjoyed it though and with all those milkshake flavours what a temptation to go back to studying.....beats the Unicaf Jill

Jennifer/The Word Cellar said...

Lex,
I've really been enjoying your blog. I wish I'd kept a better account of my adventures when I lived in London for a year. But then, that was 1998, and blogs weren't exactly on the mainstream radar. I have to content myself with looking through non-digital photos and reading my paper and ink journals. :)

S'mee said...

Oh I agree, the blog is wonderful! I have finally got you on my blog roll!

Lex said...

Thanks Jennifer & S'mee! I've added you to my blogroll also.1