7 September 2007

Bradford-on-Avon

When my dad visited in August, he took me several hours west of London to visit my Grandma. On the way we went through my favourite English town so far. Maybe even more favourite than London. It has the cutest buildings, all grey and creamy yellow stone, sagging tiled rooves and oozing with history. Here are my favourite photos.

The Bridge Teahouse
The Bridge Teahouse. Dad and I had a fantastic Cream Tea here - that's the same as a Devonshire Tea. With Earl Grey tea and scones, jam and clotted cream. You have to spread clotted cream with a knife, it's so thick.

The Swan Hotel
The Swan Hotel - I love the poster on the left-hand wall. Check out the date: 1500AD.

Cute Streets
Cute little winding streets.

St Margaret's St
St Margaret's St - just around the corner from The Bridge.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It amazes me how the British (and others) have had the good sense to preserve their heritage. If that was in Tasmania the government would have widened the street, removed all the old roof tiles, got rid of any overhanging vegetation and probably pulled down some old buildings to give the village a more contemporary look - after all "that's what the tourists want" !!!!!!!!!! Sorry couldn' resist the dig as it looks magnificent...please excuse the cynicism ......Great shots Jill

S'mee said...

Oh Lex! I am so glad to have found your blog! Beautiful photos! Thank you much for the great watercolour postcard! Wow. Just love it!

I also wanted to let you know that I was very excited to see that you hail from Australia. My brother spent two years there in the mid 70s, which was probably before you were even born, but he LOVED the people and the land.

And now that you are in England, my grampa grew up in Glouster!

Once again, thanks you for the artwork!