25 August 2007

Coming Soon to a Mailbox Near You

Postcard 4
My favourite postcard - click here to see the others

I'm so excited to be participating in this postcard swap! For those who haven't heard of the swap, Karen of the blog Chookooloonks invited everyone who wanted to join in to email her their address. 77 people signed up and she divided us up into groups of 11 people. She then sent each group a list of the people who we will send our cards to.

The task was to create postcards using photography, painting, or whichever creative medium you choose. The theme was 'Beginnings.' On the first of September we will simultaneously post our postcards to the addresses of people all over the world.

Mosaic of Postcards
Some of my postcards for the swap

My postcards are finished. I used watercolour and ink - excellent mediums for a person travelling. The pictures are all of leaves, mostly vine leaves. Leaves fit with the 'Beginnings' theme because they're symbol of growth. I was also thinking that beginnings move in cycles - like the leaves in the Northern Hemisphere grow, wither and die during the seasons.

I've had such a good time painting these, I hope the people I'm sending them to enjoy them too. I can't wait for the postman to arrive in September.

House With Vines
Some of the vines that inspired the postcards

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The postcards are beautiful - I can picture a quilt made along those lines but it wouldn't be nearly as nice as a collage of handpainted postcards - they look great and I hope their recipients like them as much as I do.....Did you use a variety of leaves or are they all variations on the Boston Ivy/Virginia Creeper leaf? Can you recall the colour this creeper goes in autumn? Brillian red.... It is the same as the one along our fence here at home Jill