26 June 2007

Museums like Castles

I had always thought of museums as boring old musty places full of dinosaur bones. They make your feet sore from standing up reading all the boring labels. Museums don't fool anybody. We all know they're full of stuffed animals whose fur is falling off.

Not these museums.

These museums look like castles on the outside. And they have a zillion fascinating treasures on the inside. Well... the Museum of Natural History has a zillion small children and their parents inside it. The British Museum has all the treasures.

This is the Museum of Natural History.



I love, love, love the building. It has columns that have birds and monkeys carved into them. It has an intricately tiled mosaic on the floor. You can see the archways in the photo below. This is the entrance hall - the other parts of the museum has more modern walkways and dinosaur bones hanging from the ceilings.



This is the British Museum. The outside is old-style with columns etc. I love the ceiling here.



I've been to the British Museum three times and will happily go there three more times.
There are REAL mummies in there. Ones outside of their sarcophagi! You can see the bodies neatly packaged ready to be posted off to the afterlife. There are xrays so you can see the bones lying neatly inside.



Here are some mummified ibis. Yes. Ibis. There are also mummified cats and bulls with no legs. I wonder where the legs went.



I just put this last photo in for fun. I forget which era it comes from. It reminds me of the look that is probably on my face when the children in my class are being naughty.



"Stop being silly children! There are NO ghosts in the girls' toilets. And there are NO witches either."

No comments: