17 June 2007

Is this your pigeon?

I saw a greeting card in a bookshop the other day. It said:
LOST: pigeon, grey with black and white patches, average size, a bit scraggly looking. Does not have a name. If found, call this number …

Obviously, it's a joke. What pigeon isn't a slightly scraggly, patchy-looking creature? There's a sign in Hyde Park that warns you not to feed the pigeons, referring to them as "sky rats" and "vermin." Quite a few buildings and statues here have long pointy needles attached to stop pigeons from landing on them. Poor old pigeons. I can't help but feel sorry for them. However, a nice fat healthy pigeon is about the size of an Aussie football... and they to like to land right near your feet. Sometimes it is hard to resist sliding my foot out to have a nice game of football.

It's a hard life when you're a pigeon.

5 comments:

Rob said...

I saw that card too! Its funny.

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen the card but have just had three days in Melbourne where I certainly saw the pigeons!!! Crap everywhere....amazingly in Shanghai you rarely see a bird of any sort (and hence no crap) unless it is caged and being sold to be eaten!!! I guess there must be a happy medium out there somewhere...perhaps that is the joy of birds living by the seaside!!! They can be free and crap and everyone is happy. Currently we have loads of black cockatoos making huge noise and mess but we don't mind.

Anonymous said...

hi lex
the pigeon belongs to bert he also likes paper clips!!!
love kathryn

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure who left the previous comment? But I'm guessing it was you, Oli?
Kathryn, I guess Bert is your cat? He would be in pigeon heaven over here!
Lex

lokulin said...

Bert from Sesame St like pigeons and collected paper clips. :p