20 May 2007

Open Studio!

Angel is a cute town of old-style pubs, bustling antique markets and the most fantastic three-storey art shop I've ever seen.




I went there to look at some studios. As part of an arts program, heaps of studios in London are having days where you can go visit, talk to the artists, look at and purchase their work.

I went to gather some inspiration. To find out a little about the reality of being an artist.



The artists from Hertford Road Studios are having an art auction. The picture above is of Mark Wainwright.

It's difficult to capture in photographs the thing I love most about artists' studios. It's the smell of paint, the freedom to make a mess, the buzz of creativity that surrounds you. It's being unconventional, allowing your furniture to be covered in paint. Having conversations that go deeper than the weather.

I talked to every artist I came across - about 20 people out of the forty studios I went to - asking about the meaning behind their work and how they support themselves as artists financially. Basically, I found out that yes, being an artist can be very difficult financially. But I also found out that it is incredibly satisfying to be doing what you love to do.

I came home inspired and with a new cute mini box of watercolours and some special paper from the amazing art shop. I am even more determined to find a way to make my own career path a more artistic one.

3 comments:

Toni M Photography said...

Oooo I am so wish I could've been there.... Sounds like there was lots of inspiration.... I wish there was more of it here, or maybe I am looking in all the wrong places....

Love the pics as always...
Big hugs,
Love Toni

Anonymous said...

jump to it lex and make a mess its great fun i think we should all have artpal and send odds and bods to start ideas miss you heaps love bathryn

Han said...

that's the best part...inspiration does get you soooo very motivated...would love to hear you've set up your own studio with your own darkroom!